Thursday, July 28, 2011

From Naradhama to Angel Instantly, This Is Srila Prabhupada’s Program



A few days ago we met a young man who at first told me that he’s totally not interested at all. But I tried my best to explain the book to him in hopes that something may inspire him somewhere deep in his heart to give Srila Prabhupada a chance and take a book. I started out by explaining to him that this book (Bhagavad-gita As It Is) is the most important thing to all humankind because it teaches us who we are beyond the bodily, materialistic conception, and this misconception of our bodily identification is what we are all bewildered with.

 I showed him the Sanskrit verses, “These are the original ancient texts where all knowledge of yoga, meditation, karma and how the mind works comes from. Einstein would read these books regularly and many other great thinkers got their ideas from here, like Emerson and Thoreau.” I continued like this, explaining and showing him how awesome these books are.
Out of the blue all of a sudden he started saying “You’re an angel!” He would just repeat that over and over again. “This is amazing! This is awesome!” He was almost literally jumping up and down. He said “You made my whole week! This is incredible! I’ll treasure these books and read them.” etc. etc. He gave a very nice donation and took Science for Self-Realization,Sri Isopanisad and Bhagavad-Gita.
It was almost funny how many times he kept on repeating that I’m an angel. Especial since at first he was sooooo not interested. He wasn’t joking either, he was serious. I explained to him I’m nobody special, I am just a conditioned soul like anyone else. The only difference between me and the next guy is that I have found these books and am trying to share them, and others don’t have these books. I am just like a mailman trying to deliver an extraordinarily valuable message to someone. Whether I am special or not is not important. The important thing is that I am delivering an important message! Please understand, these books are so wonderful.

I think he understood, but he was just so overwhelmed with ecstasy of finally after so many lifetimes coming in contact with the real truth in its pure unadulterated form that he didn’t know what else to say. Besides that I am an “Angel”.
Then he started telling me how much he’s been looking for something like this, for so long.After he was done explaining this to me I jokingly told him “Ok I have to go and be ‘an angel’to someone else.” Even as I was walking away he was saying I’m an angel. It was kind of embarrassing, other people were watching.
There were several other people that same day who were surprisingly grateful. At one point I was walking and trying to find somebody to try to distribute a book to, and I hear from behind me “Hey you!” Then I hear my name “Hey, Philip?” I turned around and some girl I never met before was walking towards me. Again she asked “Philip?” Turns out a friend of hers yesterday got a Bhagavad-gita from me (everyone I give a book to I give a card with my name, phone number, email, address and a website) and she was reading the Bhagavad-gita her friend got last night. I guess she must have seen my card and remembered my name.

She told me “Yeah, I was reading my friends book last night and I was hoping I could find you and buy a book from you today.” Then she asked me “Please can I give you some money and you could give me one of those Bhagavad-gitas?” It was almost comical, the whole thing.Anyway, all I could do was say “Yes.” Then after she gratefully gave me a donation and took Srila Prabhupada’s Bhagavad-Gita she truly thanked me from her heart for being out here,for doing what we do and for distributing this knowledge, and she walked away her life being changed by Krishna’s pure devotee, Srila Prabhupada.
It’s so nice to witness Srila Prabhupada’s mercy in action! It often even amazes me and I have been distributing Srila Prabhupada’s books for many years seeing it happen every day,but it’s always like the first day, new and fresh.

No comments: