Sunday, October 23, 2011

How I Discovered Krishna

I live in the USA in Pennsylvania. It is a nice place and the people are also nice but they are not very open-minded. I will tell you about how I discovered Krishna.
Hello again.
I live in the USA in Pennsylvania. It is a nice place and the people are also nice but they are not very open-minded. I will tell you about how I discovered Krishna.
I was raised as a Catholic but there were many questions that remained unanswered and seemed contradictory.
Because of this I became a sort of atheist for many years. I believed in a higher power, but I could not accept the ‘God’ that my friends went to church an hour on Sunday for. When I held these beliefs, I was certain that nothing could change my mind, now that I was atheist I would never believe in God again.
However I was wrong. One day last month I was looking around the bookshelves when I came across a small book: The Bhagavad-Gita. This was a translation by Shri Purohit Swami. It was given as a Christmas gift to my Mother from an Indian friend of hers named Rahim. I did not know anything about the Bhagavad-Gita other than what I learned in my history class when we lightly brushed over it. I figured I would enjoy a read in verse, so I picked it up and read the first chapter.
This turned into the second, and then to the third. I was
so enthralled by what I was reading. It all made perfect sense. I finished the book over the first day and was completely awestruck with the idea of Krishna Consciousness. I realized that my belief in God had been completely restored. Srila Prabhupada says: “Certainly. You may be atheist or theist. The chanting is so powerful, the atheist will be theist. If you are atheist, you can try it. Yes?”
(http://preaching.krishna.org/Articles/2004/12/027.html)
While I did not discover Krishna through chanting, I was changed nonetheless. The word was that powerful. I am trying to increase my knowledge in Krishna Consciousness every day. Reading Prabhupada’s Purports on the Bhagavad-Gita is very helpful and I am very glad that they are on the internet for all to see.
I hope you enjoyed my story. Hare Krishna!
Haribol Madhudvisa,
Dan

No comments: